Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care!

You may have heard the quote above or read it in one of my previous emails. But have you ever taken a moment to think about the depth of these words?

Every day, we deal with people around us, whether it be at the office, home, school, or amongst friends. As it is human nature, we all like to hear ourselves talk and often times show off what we know. But do people really care about what or how much we know? The simple answer is, NO!

When we communicate with others, we must remember that the most important thing to them is how we make them feel. So we can talk to them all we want about ourselves and our vast knowledge, but if we don’t let them know that we care about them, all they hear is blah blah blah, blah blah blah.

People don’t care how much you know unless they know how much you care. They want you to listen to their story, have an interest in their lives, and care about the things that they care about. They want you to see the world through their lens.

So why am I telling you this? 

I’m working on a 3-day training seminar for a medical group here in town. One of the topics of discussion is “Effective Communication.” Effective Communication is key to success in every aspect of life. It’s crucial in the workplace, vital for a healthy marriage, priceless for parenting, and necessary for lasting friendships.

But Effective Communication is a form of art that only a few have mastered — and those who have mastered the art have found great success in all areas of life. The first step to becoming an Effective Communicator is to understand that people want you to make them feel good when they listen to you. But they don’t want to hear about you and how much you know. They want to hear that you care about them and how they feel.

So whether you’re in sales, customer service, management, an executive, or a small business owner, how you communicate dictates how you excel in the things that you seek out to accomplish. We can’t avoid communicating with others if we want to be social or make a living. Knowing how to communicate with them makes all the difference between ordinary communication and Effective Communication.

Here are a few tips on becoming an Effective Communicator:

  • Listen more than you talk. Listen 85% of the time and talk the other 15%.
  • Take a genuine interest. Pay attention to what they tell you and be interested in what they are communicating.
  • Add value. Add value to people you communicate with all the time. From something as simple as making a small compliment to giving wise counsel when possible, speak life into others and help them grow.
  • Ask questions. A great communicator asks good questions and carefully listens to the answers. When you ask questions and listen carefully, you are demonstrating genuine interest.
  • Don’t be a know it all. Nobody likes a know it all. When you don’t have an answer, don’t BS. People can right see through you when you are being fake. If you BS them, they will lose respect for you and stop listening to what you have to say.

I get a lot of my business wisdom from the Bible. One of my favorite verses states “let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak…” James 1:19. Now those are words to live by!

Need an accountability partner to help you overcome the fears and obstacles that are holding you back from your true potential? Roger Doumanian is a Certified Coach that helps individuals who want to grow personally and professionally. You can learn more about Roger at 

About Roger Doumanian

Roger Doumanian is a Business Attorney, Certified Business Coach, Public Speaker, and Author of The 6 Pillars of Business Success. Roger is recognized for his commitment to educate, empower, and inspire people to be the best version of themselves. He has been a trusted advisor to senior-level executives, entrepreneurs, business owners, and church leaders. To schedule a coaching session with Roger Doumanian, please call 661-622-4114.